Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Are you happy?

There were so many things, good things, that came into my life as a result of working with children and families every single day, Monday-Friday, 10+ hours a day for 13 years.  The countless giggles, the priceless ah-hah moments, the tears wiped dry, the smell of newborn babes snuggled in my arms as well as the relationships formed with parents and families are all positive memories of my life as a child care provider.  And this work led to a comfortable lifestyle for our family.

But, honestly, day-to-day, I was stressed out, overtired, emotional and by the end of the day, I had nothing, I mean NOTHING, left to give to my own family.  Although I kept trying to be happy, I knew, even after my weight-loss and new part-time work (which I loved) as a personal trainer, I was just not happy.  At all.  My calendar was jam packed and they say a busy life is a good life. I was busy.  I had a good life.  But there were things about my day that I just dreaded. 

About a year ago, I put this picture up on my phone as the background: 


I knew I had to change something.  I just didn't know what.  I prayed a lot.  My husband prayed a lot.  I think I expected a flash and a thunderbolt to direct me where I was supposed to go.  Let me tell you, that didn't happen. 

Instead I took small steps.  One foot in front of the other.  I opened doors.  Peaked around corners.  Made little changes.  Over time, I became more brave and bolder in my prayer and in the changes I was willing to make in my life. 

 
And today I walked out of the gym at 7am.  The sun was shining, the air was crisp yet and I thought:  I am happy!  Finally!  There is nothing about my day that I dread.  Finally, I feel like I have enough to give back to my family at night.  Finally, I'm excited about each and every new opportunity that comes to me. 
 
I just want to encourage you.  If you feel that unhappiness in your life, do not give up.  Keep making those small forward lunges (eh-hem, my exercise reference) and eventually you will find that big change to a happy life. 
 
And you know what?  I'm not done making those small changes.  I'm not done moving forward.  The decision to lose weight was the very first small step I made.  The decision to step back from my career as a child care provider was the single biggest decision I've yet made.  Even in all the uncertainty, it sure feels great to be happy and know that I am helping others along the way.

4 comments:

  1. You hit the nail on the head for me! I am wanting to make some changes, but I am struggling to step out of comfort zones and bad habits and get over my fear of putting in all the work and seeing little reward for my effort. I just feel it is finally time for me to be 'me', the 'me' God put me here to be, not the 'me' I hear the world telling me to be (does that make sense...lol). I love your posts...keep 'em coming!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement to keep writing, Stephanie! The right changes are not always the easiest changes, but they are certainly the most rewarding! I know you pray, and I urge you to keep doing so. He promises to answer your prayers.

      Delete
  2. I can't belive this is what you wrote and I just read it! I mean that in a good way. I just told a friend yesterday that I am not happy in my marriage. But its a huge huge thing. I have children to think about. I am sure you can remember when I went job searching and almost took a job out of the house. I thought it was my work that made me unhappy but its not. I am trying to figure out how to make it better but I am struggling. So this post just kind of hit home.

    But on a good note I got 4 miles biked before I read this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah for the biking!

      Amy, I know how tough it can be. Whatever you do, don't give up and don't give in...you will find the answers you are looking for in time. *hugs* ~Dinah

      Delete