Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Brine, baste, belt and ball

Ah, the 3rd day of April already!  One month from today is the day my business officially closes.

Trying to be budget conscious, I purchased my first whole chicken at a wallet friendly $0.89/lb this week.  Ok, I'll be honest, I've roasted a full turkey in the past (many times), but never have tried a chicken.  I don't really know why!  But at that price I surely had to find a way to put this into a regular family meal rotation. For muscle and brain building, it's important to me as a mom and a personal trainer to continue with our higher protein dietary intake.  Since proteins take a big bite out of the family grocery budget, this was the challenge I took hold of today!  From brine to baste; the family gave me the "Mom, it's a do-again" 2-thumbs up response.


What Lutheran household would be complete without a 3 year old sitting in the laundry basket, hymnal in hand, belting out "A Mighty Fortress."  And what 60 degree day would be complete without a little outside fun: the little one mastered the dog ball thrower while the older two dueled at basketball.

4 comments:

  1. I do a whole roasted chicken once a week and we LOVE it!! It usually gets us through one dinner and leftovers for hubby's lunch the next day. When I first bought one I wasn't sure how the kids would respond...having only ever ate boneless, skinless, chicken breasts...but they love it and love the skin (their active growing bodies can handle the extra fat...lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree about the fats for the kidds. :)

      Delete
  2. I have put chicken like this in my crockpot. I let it cook all day with some seasoning sprinkled on it, alittle water at the bottom of the pot. I let it cook until it starts to fall off the bones.

    ReplyDelete