Friday, March 29, 2013

A Good Friday

March 29, 2013

Three weeks ago I quit my job.  Kind of.  I gave notice that, in early May, I will be closing my licensed in-home child care that I've been running since 1999.  That's 13 years worth of career and commitment.  On one hand I feel completely devastated to give up the successful career that I've had.  On the other hand I am trembling with excitement to start my new life as a stay-at-home mom. 

Today was a tough day.  Saying good-bye to a family I've been caring for through 6 years.  Watching the little ones grow since they were 6 weeks old until they are now in school and preschool age.  That's tough.  The Dad said something that struck me, "We completely trusted you.  We never worried about our kids while we were at work.  Now it's always going to be in the back of my mind whether or not  I can trust their new provider."  He didn't mean this as a slight on my stepping down, but rather as a commendation for a job well done. 

But that's what brings me here.  This is an adventure like I've never undertaken before.  Cutting our family income by just over 1/3.  Learning to adjust to a household of 5 instead of a household of 8-10.  Finding out about my own kids' lives...that's what I'm really looking forward to.  

I am also starting my career as a personal trainer.  I work at our local fitness center part-time training clients in health and fitness.  I love that job and look forward to the places it will take me in the future.

For now.  For today.  I am feeling okay.  Emotional.  Sad.  Excited.  Scared.  It's all a bit overwhelming.  It's Good Friday.  That, too, gives me hope for the future.

And as for the adventures of the stay at home mom?  I can't wait to chronicle them here on this page. 

This was our project today:



No comments:

Post a Comment